Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Job, schmob. I got one already.

For those of you who personally know me quite well, it would never cross your mind that I would ever be a teacher, yet here I am.  I got a job yesterday as an English teacher down here in Buenos Aires.  

To clarify, this particular job will actually be more like a private tutor.  Now that am I a teacher, I don't even get all the cool teacher accoutrements like chalkboards or long wooden pointers.  The students travel to me and we sit at a desk.  

Now, I will list my teaching qualifications:

1.  Once while visiting my mother's first grade classroom, I flicked a student on the back of the head and told him to "shut it" while my mother was talking.  My mother told me she would be sued (thankfully she wasn't).  

2.  See #1.


As you can see, I am rather unprepared for this venture.  My jefe (boss) told me that she has all the required syllabi and teaching materials, but that "classes" were up to me.  Essentially I'm going to wing-it until I get the hang of it.  I guess I can do that okay, since I did win a round of a high school debate tournament after I lost all of my notes and essentially made stuff up.  

Well, I start next week.  I'm continuing to look for other jobs - mostly companies based in the US.  Hopefully this teaching gig will tide me over until I find something that can give me a little more relevant work experience that I can take back with me when I return.  On the plus side, this job can theoretically support me (without extravagance) on its own once I get a full slate of students.  Therefore, it looks like I'll be here for a while now.  And that is a very cool development.  

So, friends and family - make your travel plans!  A perfect late summer or autumn getaway would be a spring in Argentina!

1 comment: