Wednesday, May 20, 2009

American Idol

So, people from South America like to consider themselves "Americans" too (since they're from South America).  With this being the case, I feel a little trepidation when thinking about starting a conversation about 'American Idol.'  I'm worried about getting into a deep philosophical debate on what it means to be "American."  So, I've never brought it up.  Plus, its not on TV down here, so no one would know what I'm talking about anyway.  

I actually pride myself in the fact that I've only watched one full episode of American Idol.  I think the premise of this show is ridiculous and creates fake celebrities (a la Paris Hilton type celebs).  However, I've recently been bombarded by friends and family from back home telling me that this kid from Arkansas - Kris Allen - just might win, and is already in the finals.  And I must admit, that its kinda cool.  Its become bigger than a silly karaoke show (in my opinion) and bigger than the contestants or that idiot British judge.  Its become a social topic based on the West Coast v. Heartland differences of the contestants, and the country for that matter.  

Anyway, even thought this is completely arbitrary and quite small in the marco-scope of life, I really want my guy to win.  I watched a clip of the California guy screeching like a wounded crow, and can't believe he's actually on the show - so I don't see how there's even a contest.  I don't know the rules, but if you can still vote, go vote for the Conway-grown boy-next-door Kris, since I can't.  

Post-script:
I can't believe I just wrote this entry.  I feel like every cliche of a typical blogger writing about such ridiculous things as 'American Idol.'  Please don't hate me, since I already hate myself enough as it is (for writing this, I mean).  

1 comment:

  1. I love this post! LOL
    You are just like the rest of America (North)!

    It happened to me... i was sucked into American Idol by Arkansas' Kris Allen (a worship leader!) and he won! Pretty awesome.

    Glad you are cliche every once in awhile... It can't hurt you too bad.

    ReplyDelete